The Legend Hunters …
The Men of Solomon’s meet in secret, their very existence only a rumor among the best of Victorian society. They are treasure hunters, men of wealth and title, seekers of myths and legends. And no legend is as alluring as the tale of Pandora’s Box…
Fielding Grey is a treasure seeker with a taste for danger and experienced women. His latest mission: wrest Pandora’s fabled box from a notorious criminal mastermind. Not in the job description: save an innocent damsel in distress.
A bookish miss, Esme Worthington has favored dusty tomes over society balls, and thrilling tales over flirtations. But when two scoundrels break into her home, she is thrust into a real-life adventure. Pursued and suddenly possessing the forbidden box, Esme can’t resist peeking inside. Under the spell of Pandora’s seductive curse, she’s soon offering herself to Fielding – body and soul. With her reluctant rescuer determined to resist her charms, can the two outwit an enemy who will stop at nothing to seize their precious prize?
Title: Seduce Me
Author: Robyn DeHart
Series: The Legend Hunters, book 1
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Year of release: August 2009
Format: Mass Market Paperback
First line: Sweat and sand mingled and dripped into his eyes, clouding his vision.
Ingredients: The hunt for an artifact from the ancient Greek myth: Pandora’s Box, damsel in distress, treasure hunters, greedy villain, cursed bracelets and an adventurous couple.
Hero: Fielding Grey
Viscount of Eldon, treasure hunter for hire, resourceful, adventurous, observant, unpolished, rough-edged
Heroine: Esme Worthington
scholar, bookish, smart, chatterbox, brazen, passionate, vibrant, fighter, stubborn
Plot: There were a few different ones that came together very excellently
– Unraveling the mystery of Pandora’s Box and its bracelets
– Fielding’s investigation into his father’s untimely death, which takes a surprising turn when nearing the end of the book
– Romance between Fielding and Esmee
Writing: fluent, engaging, with pace and flair yet remaining within the confines of historical romance
- The start of this book reminded me of the Indiana Jones and Mummy movies!
- The way backgrounds, the myth of Pandora’s Box and the characters’ backstories were easily and effortlessly imbedded in the story without extensive info-dumps
- Expected the first all-the-way love scene to be hotter with all the sexual tension and build-up that led to it.
- The way both Fielding and Esme talked themselves down didn’t rhyme with their actions and the rest of their characterization
Verdict: By combining Historical Romance with Action/Adventure Robyn DeHart gave me all I could wish for and more in my first taste of her work. A pleasant, fast-paced and thrilling first book in a series I am bound to read more of.
Rating: 8.0 out of 10: